Today I had to run a rather mundane errand on my way home from riding my horse: I needed to go to the bank. As I was turning on to the street that my bank was on I noticed a young blind gentleman who had gotten himself into a predicament. Using his walking stick he had navigated his way into a fenced off construction zone and could not find his way out.
I pulled into a parking spot for the bank and had already resolved to backtrack and help him out. As I walked up the block toward the corner he was on, I noticed about a dozen or so people waiting to cross the street and I almost turned back. I figured that at least one of those people would notice his predicament and help him out. The light turned, and every one of those people walked on having not helped the young gentleman or even acknowledged him.
I continued walking along to help him. The whole time he struggled, he wore a smile. whether it was out of embarrassment or out of entertainment at his own frustrating situation I did not know. But to smile and persevere knowing you were on a crowded street corner where many people can see but no one is helping you takes incredible courage.
I reached him and asked if he needed some help. He politely accepted and then I walked him to his final destination one block up from where we were. Turns out he was a Colorado native and had recently completed his Masters degree at the University of Denver- he was quite a smart man. I did not learn his name and he did not learn mine.
I left him at the barbershop which he had been trying to find with tears in my eyes. Yes, I do cry at pretty much anything but there was good reason this time. The tears were for all the people who didn't help him, for the challenges he overcomes in his every day life, and for the simple human interaction I had because I happened to be on that corner at that time.
This interaction was a great reminder for me. Take the moment to help a fellow human, even in the simplest way. It is not going to be any huge inconvenience on your life, and more likely than not you will bettered because of it.

Proud of you girl. That is what life is about -- helping your fellow man or woman. Good story. Brought tears to my eyes, too. Pop
ReplyDelete