Wednesday, April 22, 2015

All the President's Men

by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward



As I make my way through the Amazon book list that I set out to read, I become increasingly more interested in how they picked the books.  Originally, I had believed that it was because these were the 100 most page-turning life-changing books that Amazon's editors have ever encountered.  And perhaps, for some people, books like All the President's Men and A Brief History of Time are page-turning and life-changing.  However, for me, this was not the case.

Again, this is not to say that this is not a good book.  All the President's Men is a detailed account of the Watergate scandal by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, the two reporters for the Washington Post who covered it.  It was later turned into a movie starring Robert Redford (who once worked at The Sink in Boulder, CO) and Dustin Hoffman.

It's a very interesting look into the world of journalism, especially in days before internet and cell phones existed or were prevalent.  The book goes source by source and fact by fact as they were interviewed and uncovered, respectively.  As someone who once dreamed of being a print journalist for a newspaper, it was pretty cool to get a glimpse into what that world would have been like.

I trekked my way through the book, mostly because I hate giving up on a book.  But this kind of dry nonfiction is certainly not my type of read.  I'm sorry Bob and Carl, this book probably would not have made my personal Top 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list.

1 comment: