Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Good Girl

by Mary Kubica

Now, pretty much on principle I refuse to like just about anything that my mother recommends for me.  For this reason I have yet to watch The Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother, two shows that my mother is strongly encouraging me to watch.

I do this because it just pains me so much when she's right.  Although, let's be honest here, more often than not mothers are right about most things (Yes, Mom, I said it.)  She was right when she got me to watch Downton Abbey (Only the best show in existence) and she was right when she convinced me to read The Good Girl.

This was Mary Kubica's first novel which, as I mentioned in my entry about Painted Horses, makes me especially passionate about it.  However, Kubica's novel is in a much higher league than that one in my opinion.  This is without a doubt one of my top three books that I have blogged about thus far (So yes, Mother you were right.)

In a Gone Girl-esque plot, this book is about the mysterious kidnapping of a young woman.  That woman, named Mia, comes from a wealthy but detached and dysfunctional family.  The kidnapping is told from the alternating perspectives of Mia's mother, the detective searching for her, and the kidnapper himself.

As the book develops we learn more about Mia's estranged relationship with her family, and the kidnapper's own difficult childhood.  This leads to a major plot twist in the book, that makes it the encapsulating and page-turning novel it is.  I recommend making this book the next book you read, without hesitation!  You will not regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Emily: Mom reads your blog, right? On another matter Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown is turning into a great read. Thanks for recommending it! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read it tonight!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete