Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Thunderstruck

by Erik Larson


I found this book in a Little Free Library in front of a house by my sister's house.  This is the coolest trend, if you have never heard of it.  This particular library was an adorable little elevated cupboard out in front of the house, that could be mistaken for a birdhouse.  The idea is that you can borrow any book you wish from the library if you replace it with a book that someone else could read.  I had been wanting to read Thunderstruck for awhile and was thrilled to find it there.

Erik Larson writes entirely in my favorite genre: historical novel.  Although, I know there are not many other people out there besides my dad who agree with me on that subject... 

The book opens on a murder that occurred in London and the search for the fugitive killer. Then it follows two stories, one of Guglielmo Marconi who was attempting to invent wireless communication, and the other of Peter Crippen, a doctor who has been dealt an unfortunate lot in life and is seeking happiness.  As the book unfolds you begin to understand how the murder, Crippen, and Marconi's invention are all interconnected.

The second half of the book, once the murder has occurred and the chase has begun is thrilling.  I'll admit, I skimmed through a lot of the beginning bits that went into great detail about the invention of the wireless, as some of it seemed like a little too much information.  But, Larson has a masterful way of writing an entirely true story in a way that reads like fiction.  I saw this also in his book In the Garden of Beasts, the story of the US Ambassador to Berlin during the beginnings of the Nazi regime. That book is also worth a read.

Though it may be personal taste, I highly recommend any of Larson's books.  Many of them are New York Times' Bestsellers and all are intriguing.  Though this book was not on Amazon's list, it's certainly one of my recommendations!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Ems. The science of the wireless did get a little tedious, it was a unique context for the mystery.

    ReplyDelete