Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Orphan Train

Christina Baker Kline

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline was one of the books I picked to read from not on Amazon's list.  It's been circling around my friends and family and, since one of those friends who read it recently was my roommate, it's been sitting on my coffee table for quite some time.  Therefore, it was quite easy to pick it up and read it.

Right off the bat I was hooked.  The book switches back and forth between the perspectives of a young delinquent orphan in modern day, and an immigrant orphan from Ireland in the 1920s.  This character, who in the beginning of the book goes by the name of Niamh, rode the so-called Orphan Train from New York to Minnesota.  This was a phenomenon in the early 1900's that brought orphaned children from the overcrowded East Coast, to the farms of the Midwest in need of laborers.  Obviously my fascination with history kicked in, and I was entranced.  The tumultuous first half is filled with wicked foster homes and bonding between the two main orphans as their stories become intertwined.  This part I loved. 

After about two thirds of the book the historical drama faded, and the book became a love story.  I had loved the book up until this point, but was quite disappointed in the ending, which felt a bit kitschy to me.  However, if you enjoy this kind of fairy tale ending, the book will definitely be up your alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment